March 30, 2020
Dear Royal Oak Parents and Guardians:
Re: ROMS Update Week #1 - March 30 to April 3, 2020
It's hard to believe how much the world has changed in the last few weeks since we left our classrooms and headed off for spring break! With the suspension of in-class instruction across the province, schools have had to respond very quickly to create a new model of student learning at home. This week our staff at ROMS have been working hard to make plans for what the coming weeks/months will look like for students. As you can imagine, there is a lot to do! We miss our wonderful ROMS students and families and hope that you are managing in this new reality as best you can.
I just wanted to share with you the information I have at this time and to let you know that I will be updating you weekly for the next few weeks as our plans for online instruction evolve. Here's where we're at this week:
● All Saanich schools are closed this week (March 30-April 3, 2020).
● Throughout this week, ROMS Staff will be connecting virtually to begin planning how we will deliver an educational program to our students.
● By the end of this week, your child’s homeroom teacher will be in contact with families to touch base and begin putting in place a plan for instruction to start by mid-April.
● The district is currently working on a plan to support the elementary-aged children of essential workers and a plan will be in place later this week.
● We are beginning the process of allowing staff into the building in a safe manner to gather their resources and personal belongings. We expect to do the same for students next week so that they can retrieve the supplies they will need while learning at home.
● All district information on COVID - 19 is available on the district website. https://www.sd63.bc.ca/COVID-19
I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. We will do our best in this difficult time to re-engage our students in learning. We know that they are missing the routine, connection and structure that school provides. We want to thank you for your support and understanding as we embark on this new way of teaching and learning together.
Karen MacEwan, Principal