Front Page News

Welcome Back Message

Picture of Donna Punt
Welcome Back Message
by Donna Punt - Friday, 31 August 2018, 3:36 PM

Principal's Welcome Back Message

MacEwan%20K..jpg

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and to welcome the entire ROMS school community to the 2018/19 school year!  This year at Royal Oak we have 26 divisions and approximately 640 students - we are a busy, but exciting place to be!  Families can keep on top of things going on at the school by checking the website often, subscribing to all forums and, if you are a Twitter user, you can follow us at @SD63RoyalOak. 

First let me begin by introducing myself.  My name is Karen MacEwan and I feel very privileged to be the new principal of Royal Oak!  I began my career as a student teacher at Royal Oak and went on to work at ROMS for 20 years.  After that, I became the Vice-Principal at Monterey Middle School in Oak Bay for 3 years, followed by 2 years as Principal at Macaulay Elementary in Esquimalt.  When the opportunity arose to return to Royal Oak as Principal, I was thrilled!  I look forward to working alongside Mr. Bergeron and the team of amazing teachers and support staff at Royal Oak to continue the tradition of excellence, innovation, and care that have always been important at ROMS. 

Our staff are very excited to welcome students next week and have been working hard to prepare for their arrival.  Extensive work goes on behind the scenes at Royal Oak before the school year begins. Teachers have been setting up their classrooms, collaborating with their colleagues and planning for the year ahead.  Our custodians, office staff and support staff have been working hard to ensure that we are ready to welcome students on Tuesday morning.  We are ready for lift-off!

I am excited to continue our work this year in implementing the new curriculum and in putting into practice our Royal Oak core values of Curiosity, Compassion and Resilience. I look forward to meeting many of you at our Open House and Welcome Back BBQ on Wednesday, September 26 from 4:30-7pm.  I also invite you to join us for our monthly PAC meetings which are a great way of learning about the school and meeting other ROMS families.  Everyone is invited to attend the first PAC meeting of the year on Thursday, Sept 20 at 7pm.  

Karen