ROMS DAILY ANNOUNCEMENTS
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Morning Radio News @ 9:05 am
Science Challengers: Congratulations to all 16 members of the ROMS Science Challengers team. Yesterday, they competed at UVIC against teams from across the lower Island. We had teams place both first and second overall after the knowledge test and design challenge. Well done, team.
There is a Vocal Ensemble rehearsal today at 1:16. All members must attend!
MPR; A reminder to staff that the MPR is closed from 1-3 pm today for community use.
Drawing Club: Today in Ms. Noel's Room during activity time, please bring pencil crayons, skinny felts, pencil, a ruler and glue.
Mountain Bike Club: A reminder the the Stump Jumpers that we ride today after school. Let Mr. Kenny know if you will be riding today!
Canteen today: Popcorn on sale at first recess. Popcorn $1.50,
Canteen Thursday: On sale at recess tomorrow -chocolate chip cookies, smoothies, and burritos.
8 Intra Murals:
Notice to grade 8's of intra-mural badminton today at lunch. PE strip required.
Good afternoon Royal Oak! Here are the News stories you have been waiting for. Today is Wednesday, May 17th, 2017 and here is what is happening at 751 Travino Lane
Do you know (ROMS TV Demo) that if you need to know the number of days in a month (ie. 30 or 31), you can count your knuckles! Using your left hand, start at your pinky with January and name the months as you tap each knuckle - including the grooves in between. Months that land on a knuckle have 31 days, and the months that fall in the grooves have 30 or fewer days. Once you reach July, skip the thumbs and continue to your right hand.
Riddle: What 5 letter word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
Answer: Short - add ‘er’ to it and it becomes the word ‘shorter’.
1) Today's weather: This morning, at 10 degrees, a mix of sun and clouds with a 20% chance of rain. In the afternoon, mainly sunny at 16 degrees, but we still a 20% chance of rain. To rain, or not to rain, that is the question.
2) Health Facts: An adult human is made up of approximately 7 Octillion atoms. Can you guess how many zeros are in that number? Go one, tell your friend sitting next to you...you still have time...that’s 7 Octillion! Ready for the answer?
It’s: 7 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 (27 zeros). That’s a big number.
Do you think you could honestly count to this number? I wonder!
3) There are a lot of school events starting up. Be sure to listen to the morning announcements to see where you might get involved in your school.
4) Keep up your recycling. Recycling reduces the amount of garbage we send to our landfill.
5) Pizza day and chocolate milk is this Friday. You have to love pizza!!
6) Do you know that the Khasis are a tribe in India that grow their own bridges? For generations they have passed down the art of tree-root manipulation, forming centuries-old ‘living bridges’ out of the powerful roots of the Ficus Elastica trees.
That concludes our TV news cast! Please join us tomorrow for further breaking news stories here on 751 News!
Thanks for making ROMS TV your #1 station! If it is happening, it is happening here on 751 TV
ROMS PARENT REVIEW:
Thank you to all the parents and guardians who contributed to the Staff Appreciation Day on May 10th. The meal was delicious and the room beautifully decorated. We were overwhelmed with your generosity and hard work. Thank you!
PAC Executive Elections for 2017/2018 7 School Year
Royal Oak Parent Advisory Council (PAC) Executive Nominations are now open! Come and make a difference in your child’s education.
Elections will be held at the May, PAC Annual General Meeting on Thursday, May 18th at 7:00 PM in the Learning Commons. You must attend in person to vote (no proxy voting) and Nominations may be received at the meeting, voting will be by secret ballot.
All positions are open for election each year a list of the available positions is listed below. Descriptions of each position are in the attachment as taken from the PAC Constitution.
It is very important that we get new parents to carry on the PAC Executive roles. Some positions require more involvement and time than others, but most require just 3 to 4 hours a month, and can be job-shared. Come help out – we need you.
EXECUTIVE POSITIONS AND REPRESENTATIVES
A. The President:
B. The Vice-President:
C. The Secretary:
D. The Treasurer:
E. The COPACS Representative:
F. Volunteer Coordinator:
G. Communication Coordinator:
1 Hot Lunch Program for kids in needs
2 Grant Writing and Applications
3 Grade Eight Year end Celebration Coordinator
**Please see attached position descriptions
Grade 8 Families
Student Absences or Late
If you know your child will be late or absent please remember to let the school and teachers know ASAP via: email: <span style="font-variant:normal;"><span style="font-style:normal;">
All students who arrive late for school (last late bell rings at 9:04 am) much check in with the office.
Remember to visit our school website for current information royaloak.sd63.bc.ca