ROMS DAILY ANNOUNCEMENTS
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Morning Radio News @ 9:05 am
Science Challengers: Best of luck to the ROMS Science Challengers competing at UVIC today where Grade 6-8 students from the Lower Island will be competing in a Let's Talk Science Challenge. Go Roms!!
Craft Club: Today at 1:16 in room 125.
Canteen today On sale at recess -cookies, slushies and chicken wings.
Mountain Bike Club; A reminder that the Mountain Bike Club rides tomorrow after school, don't forget to bring your bike to school.
Canteen tomorrow: Popcorn sold every Wednesday at first recess. Popcorn $1.50,
A reminder that the Student Council Bottle Drive is on for the remainder of the week. Please donate your bottles to help us support our international foster child.
Congratulations to the Royal Oak track and field team on your success in the first two track meets of the season! Our athletes battled all sorts of weather at Uvic's Centennial Stadium as they competed in their events. Well done team. This week's track practice schedule is posted on the athletics web page. Sign up for hurdles, girls high jump, and relay teams will be happening at tomorrow morning's practice so be sure to attend.
Good afternoon Royal Oak! Here are the News stories you have been waiting for. Today is Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 and here is what is happening at 751 Travino Lane
Do you know that Canada has the longest coastline of any country in the world. In fact, if you were to walk around the country (without sleeping, eating, or resting), it would take roughly four and a half years.
Riddle: A magician, had a water glass that was filled to the top. Holding the glass above his head he let it drop to the carpet without spilling a single drop of water. How could he manage to drop the glass from a height of six feet and not spill any water?
Answer: The glass was filled, but not with water.
1) Today's weather: A mix of sun and clouds expected today. Currently the temperature is sitting at 8 degrees with an 20% chance of a light rain. This afternoon the sun will attempt to visit us likely moving the temperature up to 12 degrees with a 20% chance of rain. Bring on the sun!
2) Health Facts: There are 2.5 trillion (give or take) red blood cells in your body at any moment. To maintain this number, about two and a half million new ones need to be produced every second by your bone marrow. That's like the population of the city of Toronto every second.
3) There are a lot of school events starting up. Be sure to listen to the morning announcements to see where you might get involved in your school.
4) Keep up your recycling. Recycling reduces the amount of garbage we send to our landfill.
5) Pizza day and chocolate milk is this Friday. You have to love pizza!!
6) 10 Fun Facts:
You can’t wash your eyes with soap.
You can’t count your hair.
You can’t breath through your nose with your tongue out.
You just tried Number 3 didn’t you?
6. When you did number 3 you realized it’s possible, only you look funny
7. You’re smiling right now because you were fooled.
8. You skipped number 5.
9. You just checked to see if there was a number 5.
10. Share this with your friends to have some fun too!
That concludes our TV news cast! Please join us tomorrow for further breaking news stories here on 751 News!
Thanks for making ROMS TV your #1 station! If it is happening, it is happening here on 751 TV
ROMS PARENT REVIEW:
Thank you to all the parents and guardians who contributed to the Staff Appreciation Day on May 10th. The meal was delicious and the room beautifully decorated. We were overwhelmed with your generosity and hard work. Thank you!
PAC Executive Elections for 2017/2018 7 School Year
Royal Oak Parent Advisory Council (PAC) Executive Nominations are now open! Come and make a difference in your child’s education.
Elections will be held at the May, PAC Annual General Meeting on Thursday, May 18th at 7:00 PM in the Learning Commons. You must attend in person to vote (no proxy voting) and Nominations may be received at the meeting, voting will be by secret ballot.
All positions are open for election each year a list of the available positions is listed below. Descriptions of each position are in the attachment as taken from the PAC Constitution.
It is very important that we get new parents to carry on the PAC Executive roles. Some positions require more involvement and time than others, but most require just 3 to 4 hours a month, and can be job-shared. Come help out – we need you.
EXECUTIVE POSITIONS AND REPRESENTATIVES
A. The President:
B. The Vice-President:
C. The Secretary:
D. The Treasurer:
E. The COPACS Representative:
F. Volunteer Coordinator:
G. Communication Coordinator:
1 Hot Lunch Program for kids in needs
2 Grant Writing and Applications
3 Grade Eight Year end Celebration Coordinator
**Please see attached position descriptions
Grade 8 Families
Student Absences or Late
If you know your child will be late or absent please remember to let the school and teachers know ASAP via: email: <span style="font-variant:normal;"><span style="font-style:normal;"><span style="font-weight:normal;">email@example.com</span></span></span> or call: 250-479-0999 (24 hours per day).
All students who arrive late for school (last late bell rings at 9:04 am) much check in with the office.
Remember to visit our school website for current information royaloak.sd63.bc.ca